snakeeater on Go

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Tsumego practice can temporarily weaken Go strength

I've recently (for about 4 weeks now) begun to stick to a schedule of solving 5 tsumego problems each day. This has surprisingly made me weaker! :) I've gone from nearly touching 3k to 4k then briefly back to 5k again on KGS. What's going on?

Then on Friday I played against a regular opponent who remarked that "You've lost your fighting spirit". This made me realize that before studying tsumego I was oblivious to the dangers or weakness of my groups -- constantly making unreasonble moves that kyu players did not know how to exploit. (Maybe that's why I disintegrate easily against Dans. :) ) Now that I am doing tsumego regularly, my sense of danger has heightened, making me extra timid in my moves!

So hopefully this is only a temporary set back and I will eventually reach 1d. Maybe then I'll be able to appreciate professional games...

1 Comments:

  • At Mon Dec 19, 09:18:00 AM PST, Blogger ChiyoDad said…

    Tsumego affected my play once. After doing about 150 life-and-death problems, I resumed playing daily matches. One of my observers noted that I was playing too aggressively; attacking and trying to kill.

    It was then that I realized that I was treating many local situations like they were life-and-death problems and ignoring the principles of good fuseki.

    New Go proverb: When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home